Specimen Transport Information
The following specimen kits are furnished free of charge upon
here to order kits
1. CHLAMYDIA/GC AMPLIFIED PROBE – Gen-Probe® UNISEX Swab Specimen Collection
Kits and Gen-Probe® Urine Specimen Collection Kits.
2. CHLAMYDIA DFA – Slide collection kits.
3. ENTERIC PATHOGENS - Amies transport medium in screw cap tube.
4. FUNGUS CULTURES - Saboraud's agar slants in screw cap tubes.
5. INFLUENZA - Viral Culturettes™.
6. MYCOBACTERIA (Tuberculosis) - One plastic 30 ml container (no preservative)
for sputa and other body fluids. Ship
mycobacteria specimens in coolers with ice packs.
7. PARASITES - One ounce containers with preservative for stool specimens.
8. PERTUSSIS CULTURE – Collection kits available from the North Dakota Public
9. REFERENCE CULTURES - Send on solid tubed media. Do not send plates of
actively growing organisms.
If tubed cultures are not available, a portion of growth can be cut out
of an agar plate and placed in a sterile
screw top water-tight container for referral.
10. SEROLOGY - Mailing containers only.
11. SMALLPOX/VACCINIA SHIPPERS – Collection devices and instructions are
included in UN certified
Category A Infectious Substance Mailers. Call the NDPHL for assistance.
12. SPECIAL CULTURES - Contact laboratory for instructions.
13. TRANSPORT MEDIA - Amies transport media in screw cap tubes for transporting
14. VIRAL CULTURES - Viral Culturettes™ (Hank's Balance Salt Solution).
15. WATER EXAMINATION - Sterile 100 ml container for bacteriological analysis of