Sterilization is a procedure that closes or blocks your fallopian tubes so you can't get pregnant. (Your tubes are where eggs and sperm meet. If they can't meet, you can’t get pregnant. Guys also have a sterilization option — a vasectomy blocks the tubes that carry a man’s sperm.
No hormone worries
If you don't want to use a hormonal method, this is one option. Plus, sterilization doesn't change your body's natural hormones .
If pregnancy would be harmful to your health
If there's a medical reason why you shouldn't get pregnant, sterilization might be a good way to go.
Hereditary illness or disability
Some people have genes they don't want to pass along to their kids.
Your family's big enough
Maybe you and your partner have had enough kids already.
There are positive and negative things to say about each and every method. And everyone's different, so what you experience may not be the same as what your friend experiences.
- You don’t have to worry about pregnancy
- Do it once, and never have to think about it again
- No hormones introduced into your body
- A very rare risk that your tubes may reconnect themselves, which could lead to a pregnancy
- Possible complications with surgery, like bleeding, infection or a reaction to anesthesia
- You might change your mind later in life about wanting children.