Making Your Child's Dental Visit a Good Experience
Do's Before the Visit
- Do keep from using the dentist as a threat.
- Do keep from using words such as "hurt, pain or brave"
when talking about the visit to the dentist.
- Do keep from talking to your child about any bad dental visits you
may have had.
- Do tell your child that the dentist is a friend who will help him
take care of his teeth. Talk about the visit in a good light. Let the
dentist do most of the explaining about what will be done.
- Do stay in the waiting room if requested to do so.
- Do tell the dentist about any bad dental visits and/or fears your
child has had.
- Do keep your friends and older brothers and sisters from trying to
scare your child about the dentist.
- Do set a good example by brushing your own teeth twice a day.
A visit to the dentist can be a pleasant experience for your child!