The ND Breastfeeding-Friendly hospital designation was developed and initiated in 2014. The program focuses on five evidenced-based practices that support breastfeeding mothers.
The five steps include:
1. Train all health care staff in skills necessary to implement a breastfeeding policy.
2. Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
3. Help mothers initiate breastfeeding within one hour of birth.
4. Show mothers how to breastfeed and how to maintain lactation, even if they are separated from their infant.
5. Give infants no food or drink other than breast milk, unless medically indicated.
ND Designated Facilities
Sanford Health, Bismarck
Quentin N. Burdick Memorial Health Care, Belcourt