Women, Infants and Children (WIC)


WIC is a program for pregnant and breastfeeding women, infants, and children younger than 5 and is available in all counties in North Dakota. WIC offers healthy food for proper growth and development and helps families choose healthier ways of eating.


What is WIC?


WIC is a federal nutrition program that gives you:

  • nutrition information, counseling and support

  • breastfeeding information and support

  • nutritious foods

  • health screenings

  • referrals to other services

To be eligible for WIC,

1. You must be a:

  • pregnant woman;

  • breastfeeding woman (up to one year after giving birth)

  • new mother (up to six months after giving birth)

  • parent, guardian or caretaker who has an infant or child younger than 5 years of age



2. You must have a nutritional health risk. The WIC Staff will be able to find a risk by checking your height, weight and iron level and having you answer some health and diet questions.




3. Your annual household income must be within WIC Guidelines (see below) which are based on gross income unless you are self-employed. Note: You may have a job and still meet these guidelines .


WIC Prescreening Tool


North Dakota WIC Income Eligibility Guidelines
2018/2019 (effective May 1, 2018)

  185% Poverty Level
Household Size   Annual    Monthly    Weekly 
1 22,459 1,872 432
2 30,451 2,538 586
3 38,433 3,204 740
4 46,435 3,870 893
5 54,427 4,536 1,047
6 62,419 5,202 1,201
For each additional household member add: 7,992 666 154


FNS Nondiscrimination Statement:

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
(3) Email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.